Sunday, May 02, 2010

Gracie, the Newfoundland - Dog Art Painting by Montana Artist, Merwin

Gracie, the Newfoundland - Dog Art Painting by Montana Artist, Merwin
Gracie, the Newfoundland - Dog Art Painting by Montana Artist, Merwin, painting by Sandra Merwin

About This Painting:
Gracie is a 12.5 year old Newfoundland. This is a small portrait of a big dog with a great heart. I love doing commissions in my style. Thank you for asking me to paint Gracie.

Up until three months ago I was wary of doing commissions. In the past people who contacted me to paint their animals wanted an exact painting of a photograph. I don't do exact paintings of photographs - I don't think doing exact paintings of photographs is art. If someone wants to buy a painting of a their photograph, there are many printing sites where they can upload the photograph and have it printed on a canvas. They can even choose if they want the photo to look like an oil painting or a watercolor painting. A machine has no opinion about what constitutes art.

So for the past few years I was reluctant to paint commissions. However in the last three months I've been able to accept commissions in my style. I explain to my customers that I do not paint realistic paintings of photographs, but I will paint their subject in my way with my process. My process is fairly complex. I like to get a few photos of the subject and hang them at eye level in my studio. Then as I go about the business of art, I find myself looking at them. After a couple of weeks I start sketches of the subject trying different poses or head angles. Then I put all the sketches and poses away and paint the subject from memory. The picture in my head by this time is very accurate. During the previous weeks, I've gotten to know the animal and the textures and the colors. Once I've done that I'm free to allow the muse to guide me. I start with a blank canvas and a paint brush and let the painting dance begin. Sometimes I'm very surprised with the outcome.

Media: Acrylic and Oil
Size: 8 in X 10 in (20.3 cm X 25.4 cm)

How to Purchase:
This painting is sold


Since all computer monitors seem to register differently, here's another version of the painting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin