Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reining Champion - Horse Equine Montana Artist, National Reining Horse

Reining Champion

9 inches X 10 inches
Watercolor on watercolor board
Available 6/10/2010
Prints are also available

I'd love to hear from you. Just click the link below to email me.

email me for more information


The Story Behind the Painting
I painted this 9 X 10 inch watercolor painting a few years back but never released it. I painted it after I met a lovely young woman at the Montana Agricultural Exposition. She told me her story and I am honored to tell you what I can remember of it.

She saved her money and bought the horse that no one wanted at a local auction. She trained the horse in an outdoor corral working after she got off work. She trained all winter long in the dark nights on frozen ground hoping she wouldn't fall because the ground was as hard as concrete.

She was surprised when she had enough points to go to National but not surprised that she didn't have enough money or a trailer to haul her horse the long distance. The little town of Hardin supported her and made sure she had enough to get to National Reining event, but she and her husband had to drive more than 1,000 miles. During their drive an ice storm covered the roads and they ended up in a ditch with the horse trailer barely standing upright. She was ready to give up and go home, but locals helped the young couple, housing them and taking the horse to a near by barn until they ready to continue the journey.

When the young Hardin woman got to the Championships, she and her husband slept in the two horse trailer with one stall for them and one stall for the horse. They ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and showered at the fairgrounds. No one thought she would win. But she did.

So I haven't released the painting until now because the story behind the painting was just so sweet and so human and so heart warming that I want to look at it for a while and use it to remind myself that there are people out there who are good and true. There are strangers who will help you along the journey even when you feel like quitting. These connections are part of all of us. When she won, we all won too.

1 comment:

dellartist said...

What an incredibly beautiful painting and a touching story. Thanks for sharing them both, it renews my faith in people.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin