Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Musings on Art competitions

I must get an invitation to an art competition every day in my email. How do they find me? It's not like I entered my name in the "Please email me all your art competitions list". In fact the only thing I can see that is accomplished by entering these competitions is to send money to strangers. You might as well answer the emails that ask you to put a million dollars in your bank from a stranger who want to get funds out of a strange country.

I once asked a judge of a large art competition to describe the behind the scenes process. The national competition that he judged asked a whooping $125.00 per item entry fee. There were over 4,000 entries.

So this is what happened behind the scenes. He and two other judges sat in a darkened room while someone projected the disk image you sent on a screen. If you labeled your disk wrong it was pulled from the competition. If you wrote on the itty bitty disk space illegibly the disk was pulled. Then, each painting got less than 2 seconds viewing. You'd think that for one hundred and twenty five bucks they could have given a painting three seconds. But nope in the the count of one thousand one, one thousand two... the judges would decided yea or nay. By the end of the day the field was whittled down to the 20-50 paintings that they would take a little longer to view before choosing a first, second and third place.

At the end of the day the winner did get a check for $20,000.00 and second place got $10,000.00 and third place got $5,000.00. But by my calculations the people who ran the art competition took in some where in the neighborhood of half a million dollars.

Yup, I think it would be better to respond to the email telling you that you just won the Irish lottery than enter most art competitions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin